We've Moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://twinsmvb.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 10, 2008

My 2008 NL Pitching Staff

When not writing here for Twins MVB I've been writing some articles over at sports fan site called Bleacher Report. I was asked to write a post about the top pitchers in the National League in 2008, thus the non-Twins theme. I thought I'd post it here as well...

In honor of the upcoming National League Cy Young Award I decided to play the role of GM and construct my Fantasy Rotation for the 2008 season. Hopefully this club could beat the Phillies...

ROTATION
C.C. Sabathia - Brewers
Tim Lincecum - Giants
Brandon Webb - Diamondbacks
Johan Santana - Mets
Cole Hamels - Phillies

BULLPEN
Carlos Marmol - Cubs
Kerry Wood - Cubs
Billy Wagner - Mets
Brad Lidge - Phillies

Sabathia - Although C.C. only played three months in the National League his impact was felt throughout the NL Central and on the playoff race. The burly lefty was 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA in his 17 Brewer starts. Seven of his 17 starts Sabathia pitched a complete game. He literally put the Brewers on his back and got them into the playoffs taking the ball on three days rest three starts in a row. This is the type of competitor I want on my club.

Lincecum* - The young righty had a great 2008 campaign on very poor San Francisco club. Lincecum finished 18-5 with a 2.62 ERA and a Major League-high 265 strikeouts. The 24-year-old pitched 227 innings for the Giants and who knows what is record would have been on a better club. I want this kid on my team.

Webb - The D'Backs ace seemed to falter down the stretch when his team needed him, but Webb is undeniably one of the bests arms in all of baseball. The former Cy Young winner went 22-7 with a 3.30 ERA and struck out 183 batters in 226.2 innings. Webb is a proven pitcher who takes the mound every five days and delivers his best performance possible.

Santana - The two time Cy Young winner who should have won three in a row with the Twins posted another Santana like season in his first year in the National League. The lefty went 16-7 and with better run support would have been a 20 game winner. Santana struck out 206 batters, pitched three complete games with one shutout, and lead the NL with a 2.53 ERA.

Hamels - The newly crowned World Series and NLCS MVP earned a spot on my team this October. Hamels proved himself a big game pitcher leading his team to a World Series title. The lefty went 14-10 in 2008 with a 3.09 ERA and 196 strikeouts.

Marmol - Carlos Marmol brings electric stuff onto the field when he comes out of bullpen. The righty often tops the radar gun at 100 mph and posted a 2.68 ERA. Marmol struck out a ridiculous 114 batters in 87.1 innings.

Wood - The only thing keeping Marmol from becoming the Cubs closer was Kerry Wood's All-Star season. Wood saved 34 games for the Cubs while posting a 3.26 ERA. Wood isn't the closer on my team, but when I need a strikeout I'll call one of my Cubs relievers.

Wagner - Billy brings both a lefthanded arm to my bullpen as well as a fiery veteran presence. Wagner struck out 27 for the Metropolitans and notched a salty 2.30 ERA.

Lidge - There is nothing more you can ask for in a closer than perfection. That's why Brade Lidge is the closer for my team. Lidge saved 41 of 41 games while posting a 1.90 ERA and picking up 92 K's in just 69.1 innings. If my team can get the lead to Lidge in the ninth inning, I like our chances to win.

*Lincecum is my pick for the 2008 NL Cy Young Award. This kid posted awesome numbers and his Giants were 22-12 in games that Lincecum pitched in as opposed to 50-78 is the rest of their games. We'll see what happens on Tuesday!

No comments: