We've Moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://twinsmvb.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What's your song?

DY21 gives his thoughts on one of the interesting traditions in Major League Baseball today...

The 7th inning stretch, the ceremonial first pitch, and even the kiss cam are all "extras" that every baseball game has that has nothing to do with the actual baseball game. My sister, for example, seems to be completely oblivious to all action on the field, but due to the kiss cam, her 20 dollar ticket was well worth it. I bring this up because I'd like to speak on my favorite "extra" at a baseball game if you will. This would be player walk up music. I am always intrigued as to what songs each player picks to come up to the plate with. To me it gives me some kind of personality traits for each player as to what they may be like off the field.

So that got me thinking and I came up with my own possible walk up songs that would have been fitting for fellow Twins this past year.

Carlos Gomez - "Kiss Kiss" by Chris Brown
With his always upbeat attitude I figured he would need an uptempo beat. Also one of my favorite things about Gomez is that I can always laugh at him, especially when he kisses his bat before every at bat. Put 2 and 2 together and you get "Kiss Kiss" by Chris Brown

Delmon Young - "Stop and Stare" by One Republic
I'm sure at first glance this makes no sense for Delmon Young. But think closely of these lyrics. The beginning chorus goes, "stop and stare, i think I'm moving but i go nowhere." Honestly nothing can describe Delmon when he moves any better, and when he does move all Twins fans can do is stop and stare.

Adam Everett - "I Hate Everything About You" by Three Days Grace
This works because it is what every Twins fan thinks every time he makes an appearance on the baseball field.

Nick Punto - "Everyday I'm Hustlin" by Rick Ross
Another fairly self explanatory one I feel. I mean Nick Punto would head first slide into first base on a lineout to the pitcher.

Denard Span - "Saved" by R. Kelly
The chorus is a constant, "You saved me" and this is exactly what I feel Denard did for the Twins this season. Gomez's free swinging attitude clearly wasn't working in the leadoff spot, so when speedy Denard Span got called up to take place for injured Cuddyer he brilliantly became almost the epitome of a leadoff hitter. He has the patience and discipline of Joe Mauer yet still has the speed and a little pop for a leadoff man. Who would have thought Cuddyer's injury would arguably be the best thing that happened to the Twins?

So here are some possible "walk up" songs that I feel do a fair job at representing each player. Obliviously plenty of other players are available for song selections, so I would like to hear what others feel would be appropriate songs for players. Leave your comments.

No comments: